Saturday, July 4, 2009

First day in blogland!

It's a big day today .. my first post and my first Stampin Up! workshop!  I've spent the last month organising myself for the workshop with two make and takes and I am as ready as I will ever be.  


I've been thinking about this blog for so long now that I can't really believe that I am actually composing the first post.  I have so many ideas spinning around in my head that it feels great to finally be making a start.  Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me to take the plunge ... you'd had better keep popping by to read or else there will be trouble!


So welcome to the InkyArt blog, I hope that over the coming months this will grow into a great resource for inspiration and ideas that will motivate you to create something for yourself and your family.  


As this blog is primarily a resource for card making and scrapbooking ideas, I thought I'd start with the two make and takes from today's workshop - the first is using the brayer (Olivia asked me 'what is a brayer' ... 'it is a roller that you use to achieve uniform inking of larger stamps or special background effects' said I - she looked very impressed!) and the stamp set Pocket Silhouettes.


Brayer


I really love how this card works - looks difficult but is a really easy effect to achieve. 


Brayer first the So Saffron ink to completely cover a glossy white card stock square.  Then punch a 1 1/4" circle from scrap paper and temporarily stick in position.  Then using the brayer again, this time with the Real Red ink, completely cover the card stock ... making sure that you have a clean cirle (almost a halo) around the circle piece of scrap paper.  Remove the scrap of paper and hey presto ... a setting sun!   


The pocket Silhouette flowers and grasses are perfect to add to the bottom of the brayered card .... and this ribbon bow using the double rectangle punch is a new favourite for me ... just so easy and effective.


The recipe for this card is as follows:


Stamp Set: Pocket Silhouettes


Card Stock: Old Olive, Glossy White, Chocolate Chip and So Saffron


Ink: So Saffron, Real Red and Chocolate Chip


Ribbon: 5/8" (1.6cm) Old Olive grosgrain ribbon


Other: Brayer, 1 3/8" Circle punch, Eyelet Border punch, Double Rectangle punch


My second card is using a technique called Reverse Masking.


I loved the look of this card when I saw it on the Stampin Up! Demonstrators website.  Again using another favourite stamp set Baroque Motifs (I bought it for the wonderful swirl which I'll showcase sometime for you, I've used this set heaps of times).  


Reverse Masking


So the recipe for this one is as follows:


Stamp Set: Baroque Motifs


Card Stock: Old Olive, Chocolate Chip, Real Red and Kraft


Ink: Chocolate Chip


Ribbon: Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon


Other: 1 3/8" Circle punch (you could use the 1 1/4" if you wish), Scallop Edge punch


Well there you have it, I'll be back very soon with more to inspire and motivate you to create .... I'm joining in the Making Merry Monday's with Anita Meade with a great ambition to post a new Christmas card every Monday between now and Christmas .... so catch you Monday.

If you'd like more in depth instructions on either of these cards just email or leave a comment - if you'd like to book a workshop so that you can make these cards too, just let me know.




Nikki
x








3 comments:

Sue said...

Welcome to blogland Nikki. Your cards look gorgeous!

Ros Davidson said...

Love the card and such a pretty logo.

Christine Blain said...

Just back from holidays, and I find that you are already a seasoned blogger! Woohoo - congratulations on taking the plunge, Nikki. Looking forward to following all your posts! Christine :)