Tuesday, August 2, 2011

One On 1 Blog Hop - July Update

Back for another month and part of a blog hop.  Its a full circle so if you are starting here hop on board, if you have arrived from Margie's blog you'll know the drill - and all the blogs will be live during the middle of the night (Oz time so if you don't find a connecting link - don't panic just check back later).


This month is all about music.  Music plays an important part in my life - but I couldn't find myself ten tunes that meant something to me and my OLW, so I have listed just a couple.   Adele and Rolling in the Deep is my favourite right now.  I love the singer, her voice, her look, her words .... and whilst I haven't been through what she is singing about I love the first line ..... 'There's a fire starting in my heart, reaching a fever pitch that's bring me out the dark' ..... that's how I feel about my OLW.








   The page isn't my usual style - but I am very time poor just now and I will revisit it when I have a bit more time to ponder and embellish.


IMG_9805
As I reflect each month on my OLW I am very aware of how much of it is centred around healthy living and 'stopping to smell the roses' .... sometimes it is hard to do this but this month we as a family have introduced DEAR - Drop Everything And Read (thanks to Sue Madex for enlightening me).  


There are many tears and tantrums from number 2 child - the very child that needs this regular event and the sole reason for the introduction of it into our lives.  But .... it has also bought about 1/2 an hour or so of silence every day after dinner - no screens (computer, tv or phones) and I know I for one am benefitting from it.


So I am pleased to report I have read not one but two books this month - When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman and Jodi Picoult's latest book Sing You Home - very appropriate for this muscical themed post; and I have restarted The Secret Lives of Dress by Erin McKean.  It is great to have found my passion for reading again - I am enjoying this quiet time.


August brings for me a new start yet again.  For us in the Southern Hemisphere it is one month until Spring.   We are moving office / warehouse at work - a huge change and a huge step forward; and I am joining the local gym.  My weight loss has stalled yet again and I am using August to kick start it into action.


Hope to see you around next month - hop along and enjoy the update from Monica.


I'm off to dance around the kitchen - playing Adele oh so very loud :)  


Enjoy your month!


Nikki 


x


 



13 comments:

Cassie K said...

I like the idea of the family DEAR time and may have to get my own family in on that. Enjoy.

Amanda (Scrappnbee) said...

Love your music layout for this month! This month was really hard for me too! You picked a great song! Good luck with the move and DEAR (what a cute acronym btw)! -Amanda

jamie said...

you have a kindred spirit here in one's love for Adele. i have been listening to her all weekend. strangely drawn to her melancholy tomes.
seems this month many of us are time short. however, thankful we are still taking a moment to think on our word.
here's to your august accomplishments!
~j

Cheri said...

My kids always shush me when I sing to the radio, so when I am alone in the car, I crank the music and sing (off key) at the top of my lungs. So I totally GET the sentiment in your layout. Good job!

Jan B said...

Love the DEAR idea! AND the "no screens" idea. I so need to do that as well. I'm thinking a week in a rental cabin with no TV or cell coverage or wi-fi might do it! That starts next weekend for me... Blessings as you journey on. :)

MonicaB said...

I love Rolling in the Deep! Great song. I was thinking about that as one of my songs. I need to start the DEAR idea in my house. We all need to read more and I won't mind 30 minutes of quiet time..

Margie S (Xnomads) said...

It is great to get an update on how everything is going. I have gained weight recently after keeping at my goal for 5 years, so I will be using August to get back on track as well. Thanks for your continued participation in the blog hop!

Maureen said...

Wonderful song from Adele. She sure can rock it out, and that one is what we used to call 'a 90mph song' back in the day. Crank it up indeed!

Kathryn Ruddick said...

Great post my friend - love your honesty! I've worked out what the problem is for us in the Southern Hemisphere - we've just gone through two months of "shortest days" - no wonder we are so time poor!! Spring . . . bring it!!
Love Adele too - lucky me, I have 2.5 - 3 hours every single day at singing at the top of my voice with no audience if I like - although sometime other commuters look at me strangely - Luciano Pavarotti at 300 decibels whilst stopped in traffic on the Ring Road is good for me! Other commuters are jealous of my choice of music and that I can sing along at the top of my voice with NO embarrassment LOL

JennL said...

Love your page this month!

jill conyers said...

Great reflection and progress! I'm curious to find out more about DEAR. We're a family of readers :)

Sam @ Learn. Create. Do. said...

I love that song! I've added it to my music library. Sorry I'm a little late hopping around this month.

Sue Madex said...

I'm very late hopping but just popping by to say love your layout and that song. As soon as I heard it had to go get the album. That half an hour of quiet DEAR time after dinner sounds great - we've dropped off lately, must get back to it. Hope the office/warehouse move goes smoothly. xx