Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blog Hopping with a Sketch!

Another blog hop, this time a group of us have got together and we each have the same sketch .... wonder what we will all come up with?


You may have arrived from the wonderful Amy Buchanan's site or you may be starting here - you know the drill .... its a hop so grab a cuppa and jump on board to be inspired by one very talent bunch of lovely ladies .... a reminder of the sketch:


Sketch
And my contribution to the hop - a scrapbooking page of my lovely mother-in-law.  We 'think' Pauline is about 18 years old,(she's in her late 70s now and I can tell you that because she doesn't read my blog so I am safe LOL),  she looks so lovely, almost majestic, it is my most favourite photo of her.


IMG_8366
I've used the soon to be gone Sale-a-bration set Bliss - the colours I chose were Very Vanilla, Soft Suede, Cake Crumb and Cherry Cobbler.


IMG_8370
I created the background by stamping the flourish in Cake Crumb, then the butterfly in Cherry Cobbler.  To get the faded image I stamped off onto scrap paper five times before I stamped the images onto my cardstock.  I then used the Spritzer tool with a Soft Suede marker to  add more texture and some sponging around the edges.


IMG_8369
The patterned paper is from the neutrals paper pack - this I have wet a little with water and rolled the edges around a kebab skewer ... just wanted to roll the edges a little.  This paper was also lightly sponged and spritzed here and there.  


The paper in the middle is a piece of the soon to retire Speciality cardstock - love this stuff and haven't used or shown nearly enough of it .... its so cool, here I have again sponged and spritzed.


IMG_8367
Another retiring product (sniff sniff) is the lovely lace which I have embellished with little adhesive pearls and a floral fusion flower.  I cut these using the Big Shot, and then scrunched them up so that I could separate the layers of cardstock to make some vintage-y embellishments.


IMG_8368
Finally a close up of the photo - this is a photo of the original which hangs in Paul's mother's hallway - everytime we visit she reminds me that a long time ago some of her son's friends thought it was a picture of the queen - I love the story and I hope one day to hear it again ... and once I have the dates I'll document it to go with this page so that my children and their children can see what a beautiful grandmother / great grandmother they have.


Right time to hop along to the lovely Di Dunk - she is sure to have something that will inspire all of us.


Pop back next week for the final examples using the fabulous free Sale-a-bration sets together with the final few days of the Summer Mini goodies.


Til then


Happy Stampin!


Nikki


x



11 comments:

Tanja Westwood said...

Love love love your layout Nikki. It is so elegant...just like the photo

Christine Blain said...

This beautiful layout really does justice to that lovely photo, my friend. The colours you've used are perfect; I love the Cherry Cobbler accents.

Judy May said...

This is really gorgeous Nikki. It really does justice to the wonderful photo.

Di Dunk said...

I agree Nikki. Love love your layout. The colours and everything are just so elegant and beautiful. Perfect. LOVE the way you've used pearls on the lace too.

RavenK said...

so very lovely!

Amy Buchanan said...

Love the elegant vintagy look Nikki. Very sweet.

Kathryn Ruddick said...

Dear friend, I adore your layout and I am soooo very glad you described it so well - as soon as I saw the rolled edges of the dsp I thought "How did she do that???" Thank you so much for sharing such inspiring creativity in such good detail!

Tina Gillespie said...

Oh Wow - what a stunning layout! I love the colour combination and the stamping is superb. Beautiful photo too.

Donna Zammit said...

Nikki what an absolutely exquisite lay out to match the elegant photo of your mother-in-law. Your colour choice and embellishments are so very vintage , capturing the era of the photo perfectly. TFS Cheers Donna Zammit

Chris H said...

This is just exquisite, Nikki. Love all the extra little touches you have added. It's an absolutely perfect layout for that precious photo.

Alisha Watson said...

Nikki, that page is just wonderful!!! What a way to show off such a lovely photo