Monday, October 19, 2009

Making Merry Monday # 16

I was wondering last week how many days it was until Christmas .... never actually worked out the exact number - didn't want to scare myself, but I do know that we are already half way through October ... oh heck! 


So there really is no time like the present to make a start on those Christmas cards .... I've 'invested' in a new set 'Winter Post' ... and so yesterday afternoon I whipped up a few cards ... I really love this new oldie worldie set .... that reindeer is just so cute.


IMG_3325


I've used, Kraft, Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, Riding Hood Red and Very Vanilla for this card .... the ribbon has been 'pleated' using the Sticky Strip double sided extra tacky tape and the Taffeta ribbon and the trees are from the Lovely as a Tree set.  


I've seen this ribbon technique around the net and even tried it once but it didn't work for me, that is until yesterday .... I attended the Melbourne Stampin' Up! Regional Training day which was held in the city - Bonnie Thurber who is the Director of Demonstrator Training residing in Salt Lake City in the US, demonstrated this technique and when I saw the roll of Sticky Strip it all made sense.  If you've never used this tape before ... beware!  It is sooooo sticky ... but then I suppose you've gathered that from it's name :o)  It just grabs the ribbon and holds it in place, so pleating is a breeze.


So who's Bonnie Thurber, well if I can find Bonnie's blog I will let you know because you just have to 'meet' this most amazing lady.  Having travelled all the way from the US for the Stampin' Up! Regionals she managed to arrive in Melbourne minus her luggage!  Poor love, inside her luggage was not only all the usual 'stuff' that ladies just need to travel with ... but her samples that she was going to demonstrate to us.  


As I sat making four brilliant projects with my new free stamp set and roller from the soon to be released Summer Mini, I was keeping an eye on this lady who seemed to be quite busy herself with her card and snail trail.  Little did I know just how talented Bonnie is ... she managed to rustle up three samples using just what she could find around the room and the contents of her bathroom goodie basket!  Little bags and boxes and a great demo of how to pleat your ribbon onto a card.  Just amazing - Bonnie is a demonstrator herself so she understands Stampin' Up! from both sides of the coin ... her business tips were extremely helpful - she was entertaining and happy to answer all of our questions ... an absolute pleasure to meet.


Back tomorrow with more news from the Regionals and my swap.


Happy stampin


Love Nikki


x



3 comments:

Christine said...

Lovely card, Nikki (and, yes, I'm sure that stamp set will be a great *ahem* 'investment'!!). Great ribbon pleating - I knew before reading your post where the inspiration for that came from! I agree, Bonnie is an absolute gem; her presence, warmth and humour at Regionals was the highlight of the day for me (apart from being with friends). Thanks for sharing your lovely creation. Christine x

Christine said...

PS: You should post a picture of your 'swap' from Regionals - it is GORGEOUS.

Sue said...

Love your card Nikki and Bonnie was the highlight of the day for me too. Hope someone tracks down her blog! Off to try that ribbon pleating. Cheers, Sue