Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New Beginnings

Last week I was sick with a nasty chest infection that just wouldn't go away - this meant I had to take some time off work ... haven't had five days off sick for a few years now.  


I'm not a great patient - and I really don't like the enforced rest ... but it did give me time to think of new beginnings.


IMG_7015
With the water restrictions in Melbourne being lifted a stage or two, my husband Paul had renewed enthusiasm with our small veggie patch.  This is usually my job but last week I think he sprung into action realising that here was his chance to take it over LOL.  


We now have tomatoes, beans, corn, capsicum, garlic and lettuce growing - and he's even left a little space for me to add some things that I want like cucumbers and potatoes.  So what are the sticks for?  IMG_6114Well our mischievious little rascal of a puppy, Spencer, is a little obsessed with digging .... he's bought many a plant in through the dog flap to show me ... so Paul thought this little fence might just keep him out - we will see :)


IMG_7018
And here's my other new beginning .... a pair of blackbirds spent all last Wednesday morning building this beautiful nest ... the only problem is, that this is one of my climbing roses right outside my back door on the verandah - they couldn't have chosen a more open and noisy place ... fingers crossed that all will be well for them.  


A couple of years ago we had a nest right above the laundry door - so we had to keep it shut and use the back door through the Spring until the little babies flew away ... looks like we will all be going out through the laundry door this Spring!


Will be back later this week with more creations, news of a craft show and hopefully I will be scrapbooking news of homegrown veggies and new blackbird babies in the coming weeks.


Nikki


Update:  Did the sticks work?  Nah!  So far two tomato plants have been dug out and replanted again ... you can tell Spencer has been in the veggie garden because there are black paw marks all through the house and pea straw hanging off his long dreadlocky fur ... anyone want him? LOL 


 



2 comments:

Sue B said...

What a cute puppy I have a little helper just like him at home but it is the chickens who dig up the vegie garden the most!!!

Maria P said...

Cute puppy he looks mischievous for sure.
Happy gardening, my dad has already planted some tomatoes wow.
Craft expo was good to attend also cheers