Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Kieran

It's my boy's twelfth birthday today!  Well it was on Friday but there have been some gremlins living in my blog and this post has just refused to appear!

So lets pretend it is really the 18th of June .... just for five minutes ..... please!

Of course, being that it is the soccer world cup and I have a soccer addict for a son when I saw this card at Convention I just knew that somehow I had to make it for KP.


IMG_5995
I emailed Shannon West - at the home office of Stampin' Up! in Utah and she very kindly wrote out the following instructions for me .... how lovely is that.

So here we go:


  • Make the background:  Cut out a black circle for the card (mine is a little over 12 cm) with the Circle Pius. You could do a double layer or single layer and then put an invitation panel on the back instead of inside.

  • Punch out several 1-3/4" circles in Whisper White (I used 8 on the card and you need at least one more for the pattern). 

  • Make a pattern:  Select one circle and fold it so that you have 6 even sides (trickiest part...fold straight across first, then an X across the first fold. I think I even used a ruler to check and make sure the sides were pretty even).

  • Use the pattern to make at least 8 white hexagons. Use some dotto or a tiny bit of snail to keep them from moving. Just layer the pattern on top and trim the sides w/snips.

  • Layer the pieces on the black circle. I just looked up an image of a soccer ball so I could follow that. The tricky thing is on real soccer balls, the black spaces only have 5 sides and the white have six--I think that is because the ball is round so they have to be different to match up properly. For our purposes, all pieces (black and white) will have 6 sides.

  • Since you are layering on black card stock, you just let the black show through.

  • Trim.  Once all the white pieces are layered on the black, just trim the excess off.


So there you have it ... it really is quite easy and very effective - KP loves it - its hard to see it is actually a card from the photo but it is quite cute.

Now I have to also show you KP and his birthday cake.  About two years ago Olivia took up the official role of birthday cake maker .... and this is this year's creation for KP ... she's quite adventurous and if you viewed it from above it was a soccer ball.  


IMG_6011Check out that cheeky grin!


IMG_6010
Isn't she a clever little chicken - a mini me!

So Happy Birthday to our lovely lad ... may you have heaps of fun with your new XBox 360 - enjoy your day.

Love Mum, Dad, Olivia, Max and Spencer

xxxxxx

okay you can all go back to Tuesday the 22nd now .... LOL



4 comments:

Christine Blain said...

Oh, what a gorgeous soccer-themed birthday for your beautiful, happy boy, Nikki. Your card turned out great, and Livvy's cake is adorable!

Sue Madex said...

Wow gorgeous cake! Way to go Olivia!
Love the card too. Happy birthday for your smily son!

Claire Daly said...

Wow, what an awesome themed birthday! Love the card and that cake is amazing Olivia! Happy belated birthday Kieran!

Ange said...

Thanks for posting the instructions Nikki! Another card for my to do list....but it's going on top now.